Position Title: Peer Connector (up to 3 positions)
Reports To: Member Engagement Manager
Position Type: Part Time/10-15 hours a week
Click here to download this job description in PDF format
Footsteps is seeking up to three warm, supportive, and dependable Footsteps members to serve as Peer Connectors. You will build relationships with other members, support new and prospective members as they navigate Footsteps’ programs, and utilize your lived experience to strengthen connections among members, the organization, and the larger Footsteps community. You will also help establish welcoming and heimish spaces and help promote the interests and needs of the Footsteps community.
This is a one-year, part-time position open to current Footsteps members; each member is eligible to serve as a Peer Connector for up to three years. You will have opportunities to develop your professional skills in program design, facilitation, grant making, and community building.
Peer Support and Advocacy
- Build relationships with current and prospective Footsteps members
- Speak to potential members, answer questions, provide support and guidance, and connect them to other peers
- Be a listening ear to peers in times of need and struggle; provide hope, support, and information about available resources
- Connect members with appropriate staff and services and ensure members feel at ease accessing the full range of resources offered by Footsteps
- Design, promote, and co-facilitate evening programs with Footsteps staff
- Document member engagement and support
- Support the Member Engagement Manager to shape and implement a Peer Hotline/SupportLine
- Support the Director of Field and Movement Building to shape and implement ‘œIgnite,’ a community impact microgrant program
- Provide the organization with regular feedback on member and peer experiences including needs and concerns as well as your own insights and recommendations
- Member of the Footsteps community
- Commitment to and passion for Footsteps mission
- Kind and supportive presence, excellent listener
- Able to work evenings and Sundays once a month
- Comfortable engaging in conversations around mental health struggles
- Strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills (phone & in-person)
- Non-judgmental character; able to set aside personal beliefs in service to member needs
- Takes initiative; looks for creative ways to connect members with each other
- Comfortable offering and accepting support, ideas, and feedback
- Collaborative style; able to work effectively independently and on a team
- Bilingual in Yiddish and English preferred
Location: New York City
Start Date: May 2020
Compensation: $20 per hour, part-time position (10-15 hours per week)
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com and indicate your name and “Peer Connector” in the subject line. We encourage you to apply soon; applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with Footsteps. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Footsteps is an equal opportunity employer. Immigrants, people of color, formerly ultra-Orthodox individuals, LGBTQIA people, people with disabilities, and people who come from poor and working-class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Footsteps does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.